Flavoursome, festive and fun yet really easy to decorate, you’ll wonder why you never thought of making these Christmas Tree Cupcakes yourself!
Christmas Tree Cupcakes
Preparation time 50 mins plus cooling Baking time 20 mins Makes 12For the cakes:
- 100g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- 125g butter, softened
- 165g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 190g self raising flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 125ml milk
- 800g icing sugar, sifted
- 400g butter, softened
- Multicoloured sugar sprinkles
- 50g ready to roll yellow fondant icing
- Gold lustre dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases of your choice. Break up the chocolate into chunks and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder using a metal spoon then add the milk and melted chocolate.
- Spoon or pipe the mixture into the muffin cases so they are about ¾ full and bake for 20 mins or until well risen and lightly firm to the touch. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter until smooth and soft then gradually stir in the icing sugar. When you have added all the icing sugar, beat for 2-3 mins then add several drops of green food colouring.
- Spoon the butter icing into a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe the icing into a high peaked swirl to create the tree effect. Decorate with multicoloured sprinkles.
- Roll out the fondant icing to a thickness of 3mm and cut out using a mini star cutter. Allow to dry for an hour then use a clean paint brush to cover with gold lustre dust if desired. Alternatively, for a quick option use ready made fondant stars. Add a star to the top of each cake.
Content continues after advertisements