These wonderful Mars® Bar style cupcakes are definitely one for all the sweet-tooth's out there! They feature a light fluffy chocolate cupcake, filled with luscious caramel, and are topped with a sublimely creamy chocolate buttercream.
Mars Bar Style Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
Content continues after advertisements
- 150g butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g self raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
For the filling:
- ½ can Carnation caramel
For the chocolate topping:
- 400g Milk chocolate
- 250g butter
- 80g icing sugar
- 1 Mars® bar sliced into 10 pieces for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with 10 cupcake cases.
- Cream together the golden caster sugar with the butter until light and fluffy. Break 3 eggs into a jug, lightly beat and add to the creamed butter a little at a time to prevent the egg from curdling. If it does, do not worry, add 1tbsp of the flour and it should come back together. Sift in the remaining flour and cocoa powder and stir gently until combined. Distribute the mixture evenly between 10 cup cake cases by putting the mixture in a piping bag, as piping it into the cases gives more control over the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until they are well risen and a skewer comes out clean. When ready remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare topping by gently melting together the chocolate and the butter in a small pan on a low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the sifted icing sugar until fully combined. Allow the filling to cool until at room temperature and beat with a wooden spoon until it is thick and spread able. Transfer the topping into a piping bag with a plain round nozzle.
- When both the cakes and the filling are at room temperature, take a cupcake and using a melon baller, scoop out some of the sponge from the centre of the cupcake and carefully fill with a heaped teaspoon of caramel.
- Pipe the chocolate icing so it evenly covers the top of the cake, including the secret caramel centre. Use a knife to spread it round to get nice wavy effect if desired. Finally top with a slice of Mars® bar for decoration.