Beetroot is in the throes of its purple reign now and makes a wonderfully moist cake, a perfect partner to rich chocolate.
Preparation time: 30 mins plus cooling Baking time: 30 mins
Ingredients | Makes 12For the cakes:
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 80g good quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g home roasted beetroot or vacuum packed cooked beetroot
- 3 eggs
- 170ml rapeseed oil
- 11/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 120g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sugar sprinkles or cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/ gas mark 3 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Place the flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Using a blender, blend the beetroot, eggs, oil and vanilla together until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and bring together with an electric whisk on a low setting until only just combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the 12 paper cases and bake for 30 mins. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack.
- For the icing, place the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon. Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle and pipe in a swirl on the top of each cake. Decorate with sprinkles or a dusting of cocoa powder.