These Unicorn Fairy Cakes are super easy - perfect for a birthday party.
Unicorn Fairy Cakes by Dr. Oetker
Preparation time: 40 minutes plus cooling Cooking time: 20 minutes Ingredients
- 10 Dr. Oetker Baking Cases
- 75g (3oz) Baking margarine
- 75g (3oz) Caster sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Whole milk
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Sicilian Lemon Natural Extract
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 1 sachet/ 5g (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 100g bag Dr. Oetker White Chocolate Chips
Content continues after advertisements
- 75g (3oz) Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice White
- Dr. Oetker Hot Pink Food Colour Gel
- Icing sugar to dust
- Dr. Oetker Easy Swirl Cupcake Icing Pretty Pink
- Dr. Oetker Fairy Princess Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (170˚C fan assisted oven, 375˚F, gas mark 5). Put the Baking Cases in 10 fairy cake tins. Put the margarine in a mixing bowl with the caster sugar, egg, milk and Lemon Extract. Sift the flour and Baking Powder on top and, using an electric whisk on a low speed, gently whisk the ingredients together.
- Increase the speed and whisk for a few seconds until well blended and creamy. Stir in the Chocolate Chips.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cake cases and smooth over the tops. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, knead the Regal Ice in your hands a few times to make it soft and pliable. Divide in half. Flatten one piece slightly and add 3 drops Pink Gel Food colour on top. Fold the icing over the gel to enclose it and carefully knead the icing until the colour is evenly mixed. Add more colour in the same way to achieve a pretty pink shade. You may need to dust your fingers with a little icing sugar if the icing becomes too sticky.
- Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar. Divide the plain white Regal Ice and the Pink coloured into 2 equal pieces and roll each into a thin sausage about 20cm (8inch) long.
- Carefully twist a plain length of white Regal Ice and a Pink length together, then continue twisting gently to make a tightly coiled length about 24cm (9 ½ inch) long.
- Cut into 5 lengths and shape each to a slight point at one end to resemble a unicorn horn, and flatten the other end. Place the icing horns, flat side down on a sheet of baking parchment and leave in a dry place for about 2 hours or overnight, to dry out a little. Repeat with the other 2 lengths of Regal Ice.
- When ready to serve, follow the directions on the can of Easy Swirl and pipe the tops of the cakes with swirls of pink icing using the star nozzle. Decorate with Sprinkles and gently push a unicorn horn into the centre of each cake. Your fairy cakes are now ready to serve and enjoy