The fifth week of the Great British Bake Off saw contestants challenged to use alternative ingredients to create dairy-free, gluten-free and sugar-free cakes. Inspired by the challenge, Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes has whipped up a batch of delicious dairy-free lemon cupcakes, that can easily be made gluten-free too. Inspired by the 'free from' week on the Great British Bake Off, here is my recipe for dairy-free lemon cupcakes. If you would like to make these gluten-free as well then simply replace the flour with gluten-free self raising flour. No need to miss out on delicious cupcakes if you don't eat dairy or gluten!
Dairy-free lemon cupcakes
For the dairy / gluten-free lemon cupcakes (makes 12): 1 cup soy milk 3 tsp of lemon juice 3 cups self raising flour (use gluten-free self raising flour to make these cupcakes gluten-free too) 3/4 tsp salt Zest of 2 lemons 1 cup of soy margarine 2 cups caster sugar 4 eggs For the frosting: 1 cup soy margarine 4 cups of icing sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 tbsp soy milk For the decoration: White sugar paste Flower cutter & mold set Step 1: For the dairy / gluten-free lemon cupcakes:
- Mix together the lemon juice and soy milk in a separate bowl and put to one side
- Cream the soy margarine and sugar together on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer down to slow and add in your eggs one at a time.
- Add in the flour, lemon zest and salt and mix until combined.
- Then add in the soy milk and lemon juice mixture and mix until combined.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool.
Step 2: For the frosting:
- Mix the soy margarine and icing sugar together until just combined.
- Add in the soy milk and vanilla and mix on a high speed for a minute or two until the buttercream is smooth.
- Spoon into a piping bag and pipe swirls on top of your cupcakes
Step 3: For the decoration:
- On a surface slightly dusted with icing sugar, roll out the white sugar paste and cut out 12 flowers using the metal cutter.
- Place the white flowers into the mold and push the lid down to imprint the veins on the petals
- Place your flowers onto your iced cupcakes to finish.