For the cupcakes:
- 150gButter (unsalted) (softened)
- 150gUnrefined golden caster sugar
- 3Egg(s) (free range) (beaten)
- 150gSelf-raising white flour
- 1 tspLemon extract
- 1 tbspMilk (whole)
For the filling:
- 100gLemon curd
For the decoration:
- Yellow sugar paste icing
- Apricot jam
- 200gIcing sugar
- Rolling pin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C / Gas Mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl beat together the eggs and gradually incorporate them in with the butter and sugar, mixing between each addition.
- Sift in the flour and gently mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the lemon extract and milk and give one last mix, before spooning the mixture into the cupcake cases. Only fill the cases 2/3 full with mixture to give evenly shaped cupcakes.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and baked throughout. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once fully cooled, use a small sharp knife to carve out the centre of the cupcake. Fill the hole with a teaspoon of lemon curd and seal by placing the carved sponge back on top.
- Cover to the top of the cupcake with either buttercream (made up on butter and icing sugar blended together) or apricot jam. This will help the sugar paste icing stick.
- Roll out the yellow sugar paste icing and using a circular cutter, cut out a circle the same size as the top of your cupcake. Place on top of the jam/buttercream to secure in place.
- Mix together the icing sugar with a drop or two of water to make a thick consistency. Add a touch more water if too thick, or some more icing sugar if the icing becomes to runny.
- Fill a piping bag with the icing and gently snip a small hole in the bottom. Pipe the stripes on the tennis ball on to the yellow sugar paste and allow to dry. Then 'serve'
Content continues after advertisements