The sixth week of the Great British Bake Off challenged contestants to create frangipane tarts. Inspired by the challenge, Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes has rustled up a batch of frangipane cupcakes. Inspired by last weeks Great British Bake Off, I just had to make some frangipane cupcakes. I love the use of marzipan in the actual cupcake itself, such a great way to get that strong almond flavour!
For the frangipane cupcakes: 125g unsalted butter 125 marzipan (grated) 75g grated golden caster sugar A few drops of almond essence 1/4 tsp vanilla extract 3 eggs 75g self raising flour Pinch of salt For the frosting: 100g unsalted butter 300g icing sugar 1/4 tsp vanilla essence 30ml milk For the decoration: Edible glitter For the frangipane cupcakes:
- Cream the butter and sugar together on a medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer down to slow and add in your eggs one at a time.
- Add in the flour, salt, vanilla extract, almond essence and mix until combined.
- Then add in the grated marzipan and mix until combined.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool.
For the frosting:
- Mix the butter and icing sugar together until just combined.
- Add in the milk and vanilla and mix on a high speed for a minute or two until the buttercream is smooth.
- Spoon into a piping bag and pipe swirls ontop of your cupcakes
For the decoration:
- To finish sprinkle some edible glitter ontop of your cupcakes