Spring is here (yay!) and what better way to celebrate Easter than with some really cute chick cupcakes?
With these easy steps you can create your own sweet Easter cupcakes - perfect for sharing.
By Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes. Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes): For the Vanilla Cupcakes:
- 110g butter, softened
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 280g icing sugar
- 140g butter, softened
- 1 – 2 tbsp whole milk
For the Chicks:
- Yellow, orange and pink food colouring gel
- Tylo powder
- Wax rolling pin
- Round cutter
- Heart Cutter (small and medium)
- Small flower cutter
- Edible glue
- Cocktail stick
- Edible black pen
Step 1: For the Cupcakes:
- Whisk together the; butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth. Then add the eggs, vanilla extract and mix until smooth again. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 mins until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool.
Step 2: For the Vanilla Frosting:
- Sift the icing sugar and beat together with the pink gel colouring, butter and milk until smooth.
- Spoon your icing into the piping bag and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes
Step 3: For the Chicks:
- First you need to dye your sugarpaste and add tylo powder so it holds its shape when dry. To do this, dip a cocktail stick into the yellow gel colouring and put into the centre of your sugarpaste. Then add a small amount of tylo powder and kneed the sugarpaste until the both are completely blended in.
- Roll out the yellow sugarpaste on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar. Then using your cutters cut out 12 small circles and 24 medium hearts (to use for the body and wings).
- Now you need to dye some sugarpase pink for the beaks and flowers and orange for the chicks feet. Use the same technique as the yellow above.
- Using edible glue stick the 2 yellow hearts (wings), 2 small orange hearts ( feet), pink small heart (beak) and the pink flower to the circle to make your chick. Lastly use an edible black pen to draw on the chicks eyes.
Happy Easter…and baking ;) X