Think rainbow cupcakes must be crazily complicated to make? Think again! Great for children and big kids alike, these fun-filled, pastel rainbow cupcakes use Culpitt's Colour Splash Gels to create five layers of colourful sponge topped with buttercream swirls and showers of pretty sprinkles. And this rainbow swirls cupcakes recipe is perfect for all skill levels! Time to get baking…
How to make rainbow cupcakes
You will need
- Colour Splash Gels – blue, pistachio, orange, violet & pink
- Colour Splash Dusts – white
- Purple cupcakes large sugar Pearls, rainbow
- Cupcake batter
- No.10 star nozzle
- Disposable piping bags
- Dessert spoons
- 3 bowls
1. Separate your cupcake batter equally into five bowls.
2. Use the five Colour Splash gels to colour each bowl. Colours can intensify during baking so we recommend using a smaller amount of gel for better results.
Top tip! Add colour gradually - you can always add more!
3. Starting with one colour, divide the mixture equally between the baking cups using a dessert spoon and smooth it out so you have a layer at the bottom. Continue with all the other colours in the same way, evenly spreading each layer out and being careful not to mix the colours together so that you end up with distinct layers of colour.
Yum! Loving this cakey content so far? Get more mouthwatering tutorials like this one along with oodles of cakespiration, expert interviews, the latest news from the cake world and SO much more with a subscription to Cake Decoration & Sugarcraft magazine.
4. Bake your rainbow cupcakes.
5. Colour your buttercream white using Colour Splash White dust (you might also like to check out our guide to making white buttercream).
6. Place the No. 10 Star Nozzle into a piping bag and fill with your white buttercream.
Top tip! You might find our detailed guide on freezing cupcakes helpful.
7. Once your cupcakes have baked and cooled pipe each of them with the white buttercream.
8. Scatter a handful Purple Cupcake Rainbow Sugar Pearls over your piped cupcakes to finish.