The third week of the Great British Bake Off saw contestants challenged to make quick breads. Inspired by what she saw, Sophie Turhnam from Sophie Victoria Cupcakes turns one of the contestant's breads into salted caramel chocolate cupcakes… Inspired by Ugne's bread last week, here is my recipe for chocolate salted caramel cupcakes, the perfect combination of sweet and savory in one little cupcake...if you can limit yourself to just one of course!
Salted caramel chocolate cupcakes
For the Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 12): 70g butter, softened 250g caster sugar 170g plain flour 50g coco powder 1 tbsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt 210ml whole milk 2 eggs For the Salted Caramel Frosting: 670g icing sugar 210g butter, softened 70ml whole milk 30g tinned caramel Pinch of good quality sea salt Step 1: For the chocolate cupcakes:
- Whisk together the; butter, sugar, flour, coco powder, baking powder and salt until smooth. Then add the eggs and milk, mixing until smooth again.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases and spoon the mixture into the paper cases about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and springy to touch, then put on a wire rack to cool.
Step 2: For the salted caramel frosting:
- Sift the icing sugar and beat together with the butter, add the tinned caramel and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon your icing into the piping bag and pipe buttercream swirls onto the cupcakes, starting from the outside, going in. I have used a large closed star nozzle to create large, high swirls. Check out my recent piping blog for cupcake heaven magazine on how to create perfect cupcake swirls using different nozzles.
- To finish sprinkle the sea salt on top and enjoy delicious chocolate salted caramel cupcakes!