Simple and very, very moorish, especially still warm from the oven, these pear and blue cheese muffins make a lovely savoury change to sweet muffins, and the addition of the melted blue cheese adds a very mellow, moorish flavour, making these a tempting treat for everyone!
Pear and Blue Cheese Muffins
Makes 12 | Preparation time 10 mins | Baking time 20 mins
- 150g self raising flour
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 80g unsalted butter, melted and then cooled
- 100ml milk
- 220g tin of pears in juice
- 150g Stilton or other blue cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Mix together the flours, salt, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda until fully combined.
- Open the can of pears and drain, keeping the juice aside. Using a hand blender puree half of the pears. Cut the remaining pear halves into approximately a 7mm dice and set aside.
- In a jug whisk together the cooled melted butter, pear puree, eggs and milk. Stir the egg/pear mixture into the flour mixture using a spatula making sure not to over work it. Add the crumbled stilton and remaining pear pieces and stir through the batter.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cases. Place in a preheated oven for about 18 mins or until they are golden brown, well risen and a skewer comes out cleanly when tested.
* For added freshness you could add 1tbsp finely chopped chives or for extra crunch you could decorate with toasted walnut halves.