An irresistible combination... sweet and fruity make up a batch of these banana butterscotch pancakes this Pancake day. Don't worry... the sauce will come together when you add the cream!
Banana butterscotch pancakes
Banana butterscotch pancakes recipe.
Brought to you by Waitrose
- 150 g plain flour, sifted
- 50 g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 284 ml (10fl oz) tub buttermilk
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- unsalted butter, for frying
- 2 small bananas, peeled, sliced
- whipped cream, to serve ((optional))
For the butterscotch sauce
- 75 g unsalted butter, plus extra for frying
- 75 g Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Sugar
- 100 ml double cream, plus extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp flaky sea salt
Mix the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk and egg. Whisk together until smooth, then set aside for 30 minutes.
For the butterscotch sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat, then add the sugar and allow to dissolve. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly, until golden. Take off the heat and stir in the cream, vanilla and salt.
Heat a large frying pan over a medium-low heat. Melt a knob of butter, then add a small ladleful of the batter and spread to a circle roughly 12cm (4½in) in diameter – cook 2-3 at once, if possible. Flip after 2-3 minutes when bubbles appear, then cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat to make about 8 pancakes. Stack onto plates, top with the banana and spoon over the warm butterscotch sauce. Serve with whipped cream too, if liked.