A light and fruity raspberry meringue gateau, filled with raspberry mousse makes this an eye-catching dessert that’s perfect for a tea-time treat in the summer.
Raspberry Meringue Gateau
Serves 10 | Preparation time 35 mins plus cooling | Baking time 1 hour
For the mousse:
- 500g frozen raspberries
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 25g caster sugar
- 200ml double cream
For the meringue:
- 6 large egg whites
- 300g caster sugar
- For the mousse, place the raspberries and 75g of the sugar in a pan and cook gently for approximately 5 mins until the sugar has dissolved and the raspberries become juicy and soft.
- Press the cooked raspberries through a sieve into a large bowl to extract the pips leaving you with a smooth raspberry puree. Put 2 tbsp of puree in a separate bowl then set aside both bowls of puree (the smaller bowl is for the meringue).
- Place the two egg whites in a grease free bowl and whisk well until stiff peaks form. Whisk in the remaining 25g sugar. In a separate bowl whip the double cream until it holds its shape. Use a metal spoon to fold the cream and the large portion of raspberry puree into the egg whites. Chill in the fridge.
- For the meringue, preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas mark 2. Grease three baking trays and line with baking paper. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form then gradually whisk in the sugar a little at a time until the meringue is glossy.
- Divide the mixture equally between the three prepared baking trays then spread each into a 22cm diameter circle. Randomly drop the 2 tbsp puree set aside in step 2 onto the top of one meringue circle then swirl with the tip of a skewer to create a marbled effect. Bake all three meringues for an hour. When cooked, turn off the heat and cool the meringues in the oven with the door ajar.
- When completely cool remove from the oven and place one of the plain meringues onto a serving place. Spread half the raspberry mousse on top then add the other plain meringue on top of the mousse. Spread the remaining mousse on the top of that meringue then top with the marbled raspberry meringue.