These marbled nests give a perfect combination of chocolate, meringue and bright fresh fruit that everyone will love.
Chocolate Marbled Meringue Nests - Recipe by Dr.Oetker
Preparation time: 40 minutes plus cooling – Cooking time: 2 hours 5 minutes – Serves: 6 Ingredients
- 75g (3oz) Dr Oetker 72% Extra Dark Fine Cook’s Chocolate
- 4 sachets Dr Oetker Egg White Powder (or 4 medium egg whites)
- 250g (9oz) Caster sugar
- 7.5ml (1 ½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 150ml (1/4 pt) Whipping cream
- Dr Oetker Chocolate Easy Fill Cake Centre
- 350g (12oz) prepared assorted fruit such as small strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, orange segments, etc.
- Mint sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 110˚C (90˚C fan assisted oven, 225˚F, gas mark ¼). Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment. Break up the Extra Dark Chocolate into pieces and put in a small heatproof bowl. Put the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and leave to melt. Remove from the water and leave aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, make up the Egg White Powder as directed in a large grease-free bowl.
- Whisk until very stiff and dry. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar in 4 batches, adding the Vanilla Extract with the last batch of sugar, to make a thick, glossy meringue.
- Scrape and drizzle a little of the melted chocolate over the top of the meringue using a spatula. Using a large metal spoon, gently turn the spoon over in the meringue a couple of times to gently marble it through the meringue, and then lift out a large scoop.
- Place on one of the baking trays in a rounded mound about 5cm (2inch) high. Repeat the drizzling, folding and scooping of the meringue to make 6 mounds in total – 3 per tray. Note: avoid mixing too much of the chocolate into the meringue at the beginning, it is easier to get a more consistent result by adding it gradually.
- Using the back of a wetted teaspoon, press the centre of each mound down to make a nest shape approx. 10cm (4inch) diameter. Bake in the oven for about 2 hours until the meringues are crisp on the outside and pale in colour. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, just before serving, whip the cream until just peaking. Squeeze a generous amount of Chocolate Easy Fill in the centre of each nest and top with a dollop of cream and some fruit. Drizzle with more Chocolate Easy Fill Cake Centre and decorate with mint. Your meringue nests are now ready to serve and enjoy!
TIP: For a zest flavoured meringue, try adding Dr Oetker Valencian Orange Natural Extract instead of the Vanilla.