The perfect marriage of flavours, elderflower cordial makes gooseberries sing 'summer'!
Preparation time 15 mins - Baking time 25-30 mins - Serves 6
For the fruit base:
- 900g gooseberries, washed, topped and tailed
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp elderflower cordial
- For the topping:
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 100g wholemeal flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 110g butter, cold and diced
- 170ml full fat milk
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. For the fruit base, place the gooseberries in a 23cm baking dish, sprinkle with sugar then add the elderflower cordial and stir to combine.
- For the topping, place the flours, salt and baking powder in a large bowl then rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Pour in the milk and bring together to form a very sticky dough.
- Spoon the dough over the fruit, don't worry about neatness, the more rustic the appearance the better. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the dough, then bake in the oven on a high shelf for 25-30 mins or until crusty and golden brown. Serve warm from the oven with ice cream or pouring cream.