Enjoy a delicious home-made taste of la dolce vita that will prove tempting to absolutely everyone
Gelato Shortbread Gateau – Recipe by Lakeland
Makes 1 Cake For the Cake
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g Lakeland Popcorn Kernels
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 50g hazelnuts
- 350g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 165g caster sugar
- 300g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 120g cornflour
- 30g chia seeds
- 30g flax seeds
- 200ml whole milk
- 200ml double cream
- 200g Lakeland Vanilla Flavour Italian-Style Gelato Mix
- 100ml whole milk
- 100ml double cream
- 100g Lakeland Chocolate Flavour Italian-Style Gelato Mix
- Joe & Seph’s Sticky Toffee Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease and line the springform tin and a baking tray with parchment.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the popcorn kernels and cover with a lid. Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally, until the popping has stopped. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Spread the coconut and hazelnuts out separately on the lined baking tray and toast in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until the coconut turns golden brown and the nuts are lightly toasted. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop the hazelnuts.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric hand whisk, until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and cornflour into the bowl and whisk again for 1 minute to combine. Add the toasted coconut, chia and flax seeds and mix well.
- Using your hands bring the shortbread mixture together into a large ball. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 3 pieces. Using the base of the cake tin as a guide, roll out one piece to a 23cm circle and place into the cake tin. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just turning golden brown at the edges. Leave in the tin to cool slightly before transferring to a wire rack. Repeat with the other 2 pieces of dough. (If you have more than one tin, this will considerably speed up the baking time.)
- Meanwhile, make the vanilla gelato by placing the milk and cream into a large bowl and adding the vanilla mix. Whisk for 2 minutes with an electric hand mixer until thick and creamy. Repeat with the chocolate gelato ingredients. Chill the gelato until ready to use.
- Once all 3 rounds of shortbread have been cooked, line the cake tin with fresh parchment. Spoon half the vanilla gelato into the cake tin and spread it out evenly. Place a round of shortbread on top. Add the chocolate gelato, then another shortbread. Top with the rest of the vanilla gelato and finish with the final round of shortbread.
- Place the gateau into the freezer overnight or for at least 3 hours until the gelato has frozen.
- To serve, remove the gateau from the freezer and transfer onto a serving plate. Top with the popcorn and toasted hazelnuts and pipe sticky toffee sauce over the top, letting some drizzle over the edges.
Tip: Once out of the freezer this dessert will keep in the fridge for 30-40 minutes but it is easier to cut into portions when still frozen. This recipe first appeared on Lakeland