Sausage rolls are enjoyed by pretty much everyone and they are the perfect snack to keep your guests satisfied.
Spiced Sausage Rolls and Cranberry Chutney
Ingredients:For the sausage rolls:
- 100g puff pastry
- 75g unseasoned sausage meat
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- The zest of half an orange (save the other half for the chutney)
- 10g sage leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 egg
- Flour for dusting
- 1 small red onion
- 170g fresh cranberries
- 100g caster sugar
- The zest of half an orange
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Put the sausage meat, salt, chilli and sage in to a bowl and zest half an orange over the mixture, mix thoroughly with a spoon.
- Finely dice the red onion and soften over a low heat until translucent.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the pastry to 10x20cm.
- Shape the sausage meat in to a ball and cover in flour, then roll out on the floured surface to 20cm long.
- Lay the sausage meat on to the pastry and paint one edge of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the sausage and seal onto the egg coated edge.
- Cut the sausage roll in to 4 pieces and brush with beaten egg. Slash with diagonally with a knife and bake for 20 minutes at 200°C
- Take 4og cranberries, cut them in half and set aside.
- Tip the remaining 130g of the cranberries in to the pan with the softened onions. Over a low heat add the sugar, salt, vinegar, cayenne and remaining zest.
- Stir constantly for 5-10 minutes until the sugar has melted, then turn the heat up to a medium heat and continue stirring until the cranberries burst.
- Take off the heat and stir in the remaining uncooked cranberries, then decant in to jars or bowls for dipping.