The crisp, delicate pastry combined with the rich flavour of the cheese and spinach is a match made in heaven.
Spinach and Ricotta Tarts by Dr. Oetker
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 25 mins Cooking time: 30-35 mins
Content continues after advertisements
- 200g/8oz plain gluten free flour
- 1tsp Xanthan Gum
- 100g/4oz butter, cut into small pieces
- A pinch of salt
- 2-4 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 100g/4oz frozen chopped spinach – defrosted and thoroughly drained of all excess liquid
- 250g/10oz Ricotta
- 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs - beaten
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 1 tsp green pesto
- salt & pepper
- Put the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water a little at a time until the mixture comes together to form a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Divide the pastry into four equal pieces. Roll out each piece so it’s big enough to line your tartlet case. Push the pastry carefully into the base and sides of your case, taking care as Gluten Free pastry does have a tendency to be very short and tear easily. Place the pastry cases on a baking tray and prick the pastry with a fork. Bake in a pre- heated oven at 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
- Put all the filling ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Pour into the pastry cases and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes until is firm to touch. Serve warm or cold with a salad.