Why didn’t we think of it before? This answers the ‘how do I get more strawberries and cream into my diet’ conundrum. Cook them into the actual scones – problem solved! The Great British summer wouldn’t quite be the Great British summer without a hearty dose of strawberries and cream. Combine that with the nation’s beloved cream tea and this recipe is a sure-fire winner. Whether you’re whipping up a batch for a picnic or just for a delicious snack at a garden party, these tasty scones are perfect with clotted cream and jam or simply munched in a stolen moment of solitude, fresh out of the oven. Makes: 8 scones
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 115g fridge-cold butter
- 1 large egg
- 120ml double cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- Three quarter cup of strawberries cut into eighths
- Half cup of granola for ingredients and sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, 180 fan. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and put to one side.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and rub in using your fingers or a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add handful of granola. Stir in cut strawberries until covered in flour.
- In another bowl whisk the egg, double cream, honey and vanilla extract. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until dough begins to form. Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until a ball forms but don’t over-knead or stir.
- Pat the dough into a round until it’s about 1.5cm thick and cut into 8 even wedges. Place on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the granola.
- Bake for 20 minutes, although check a bit before, just in case; you want them golden brown. Once baked, place on wire rack to cool.
- Best enjoyed fresh out of the oven, these yummy scones bring a taste of summer to even the drizzliest August afternoon!
Lizi’s Granola Range is available from Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Tesco, Asda, Whole Foods, Co-op, Booths and all good health stores.
Flavours include: Organic, Original, Belgian Chocolate, Treacle and Pecan, Passionfruit & Pistachio, Mango & Macadamia, Low Sugar and On The Go which is available in Original, Belgian Chocolate, Treacle and Pecan