Blackberries in a delicate almond sponge makes a perfect afternoon tea treat.
Breast Cancer Care have paired up with BerryWorld to bring you recipes that you can make for your very own Afternoon Tea for Breast Cancer Care this summer – to find out more visit www.breastcancercare.org.uk/bake
- 175g blackberries
- 150g caster sugar
- 212g short crust pastry
- 110g ground almonds
- 50g butter, softened
- 3 free range eggs, beaten
- Few drops each vanilla and almond essence
- 15g flaked almonds, toasted
- Sifted icing sugar
- Place the fruit in a small pan with 50g of the sugar and warm through until the juices begin to rest. Remove from the heat and cool..
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas Mark 6. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface large enough to line an 18cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Ease the pastry gently into the corners without stretching and trim the edges. Chill until required.
- In a mixing bowl cream together the rest of the sugar, the almonds, butter, eggs and flavourings until soft and well blended.
- Spoon the fruit into the pastry case, spread over the topping and flatten. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the topping is set and light golden.
- Serve warm or cold topped with the flaked almonds and a shake of sifted icing sugar.