Petite and pretty, these tasty fruit tarts look like you’ve spent hours perfecting them in the kitchen! The individual portions mean you can decorate each one with different fruits to please everyone’s taste buds.
Fruit Tarts with Crème Pâtissière
Preparation time: 45 mins plus 30 mins chilling
Baking time: 15 mins
For the pastry:
For the crème patissiere:
- 220g plain flour
- 100g butter, chilled and cubed
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250ml full fat milk
- 2 medium egg yolks
- 30g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 20g corn flour
- 20g butter
- A selection of soft fruits
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 2 tbsp water
- For the pastry, put the flour in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar then add the egg. Bring together with a round ended knife then gather together into a soft dough using your hands. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7, then grease six 10cm loose bottom fluted tart tins. Divide the pastry into six and roll each piece into a circle measuring approx 16cm in diameter. Gently ease one circle of pastry into each of the prepared tart tins and trim flush with the tin if necessary.
- Place the tart tins on a baking sheet and prick the pastry bases with a fork. Line each tin with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins then remove the beans and paper, reduce the oven temperature to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and bake for a further 10 mins until the pastry is crisp and golden. Carefully remove from the tins when cool.
- To prepare the crème patissiere, heat the milk gently in a pan until it almost boils then remove from the heat. Mix together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and corn flour in a bowl then add the milk stirring continuously. Return the mixture to the pan and heat very gently over a low heat, again stirring continuously, until the mixture starts to thicken and just boil. Remove from the heat and beat in the butter.
- Spoon the crème patissiere into the tart cases, smooth to level and allow to cool. Top the cooled crème patisserie with generous quantities of fruit.
- For the glaze, gently warm the apricot jam and water together in a saucepan over a low heat and mix well. Remove from the heat, sieve to create a smooth glaze then gently spoon over the fruits. Alternatively you can sprinkle a little sifted icing sugar directly over the fruit.
* The pastry tart cases can be prepared ahead and stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days ready to be filled when needed.