These Mixed Berry Tartlets are perfect for the summer served with some vanilla ice-cream. Makes 12
For the pastry:
- 110g (3¾oz) caster sugar
- 140g (5oz) unsalted butter, chopped
- 330g (11oz) 00 flour (or plain flour)
- 2 free-range eggs
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
For the filling:
- 200ml (6¾fl oz) milk
- 20g (¾oz) unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 400g (14oz) sheep’s milk ricotta (or cow’s milk ricotta)
- 300g (10oz) caster sugar
- 5 free-range egg yolks
- 3 free-range egg whites
- 250g (9oz) strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 125g (4oz) blueberries
- 125g (4oz) raspberries
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- For the pastry, place the sugar and butter in a food processor. Process until combined. Add the flour and pulse to combine. Add the eggs and zest and pulse until the dough forms a ball around the blade. Remove from the processor, wrap the dough in clingfilm and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5. Grease and flour 12 loose-based flan tins, sized 10cm (4 in) in diameter.
- For the filling, heat the milk, butter, vanilla bean and seeds and 1 tbsp of sugar in a pan on medium. Simmer for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Strain and discard the vanilla bean.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the ricotta and sugar until they are smooth. Add the egg yolks and beat until well combined. Add the milk mixture and beat to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into the ricotta mixture, then fold in the berries and lemon zest.
- Roll the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 5mm (¼in) thickness. Cut out 14cm (5½in) rounds from the pastry for each of the 12 flan tins. Line the tins, pressing the pastry into the edges. Fill the tarts with the ricotta mixture and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set and golden on top. Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust the tartlets with icing sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe from Luca’s Seasonal Journey by Luca Ciano, published by New Holland Publishers, RRP £19.99.