This heavenly mango and lime tart is club tropicana in pastry! Truly a 'must bake' summer dessert.
Mango and Lime Tart
Serves 8 | Preparation time 50 mins plus chilling | Baking time 10 mins
For the pastry:
Content continues after advertisements
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cold and diced
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water
For crème patissière:
- 600ml milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 40g corn flour
- Zest of 11/2 limes
- 40g butter, diced
For the topping:
- 1 large mango, diced
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- For the pastry, place the flour in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar then add the egg yolk and enough water to bring the mixture together. Lightly knead the pastry until smooth then wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 mins.
- Grease the base and sides of a 20cm round loose bottomed deep tart tin. Roll the chilled pastry out onto a well floured surface so it is big enough to line the base and sides of the prepared tin. Trim the excess flush with the tin then prick the base a few times with a fork. Chill for 30 mins, towards the end of this time preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Line the chilled pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 mins or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the crème patissière, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large jug until pale. Add the corn flour, whisk thoroughly then set aside.
- Heat the milk in a pan until just below boiling point. Whilst whisking continuously, slowly pour the milk into the egg mixture and continue whisking until fully combined. Pour the mixture into the pan and heat whilst whisking continuously until the mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Continue to whisk and cook the mixture for a further 2 mins.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and lime zest, whisking until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a clean bowl and cover with clingfilm. Press the clingfilm onto the surface of the crème patissière to prevent a skin from forming and allow to cool fully.
- To assemble the tart, mix the cooled crème patissière with an electric mixer until smooth. Transfer to the cooked pastry case and level the top with back of a spoon. Decorate with diced fresh mango and top with a little lime zest.