All the classic flavours of a toffee apple in a lovely rustic tart. This caramel apple galette has a generous helping of sweet toffee, layered with golden delicious apples, and is best served with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Caramel Apple GalettePreparation time 35 mins plus 1hr 15 mins chilling Baking time 45mins Makes 1 galette with enough pastry for 2 Ingredients:
- 455g very cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 50 -75 ml iced water
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 680g Plain Flour
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored per tart
- ½ can of Carnation Caramel
- Egg wash
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Mix the flour, icing sugar and salt until fully combined. Using your fingertips rub the butter cubes into the dry ingredients until you have a coarse sandy mixture, don’t worry about any stray lumps of butter this will just add to the crispness of the final pastry. Carefully add in the ice water 1tbsp at a time and work the mixture gently with a knife until you have formed a cohesive dough, shape into a flattened square. On a floured work surface roll out the dough into a rectangle and fold in half to make a square. Repeat this 4 times then put in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour. The pastry can then be cut in two and one half wrapped in clingfilm and frozen for future use.
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of silicone parchment until you have a 12 inch circle about 5mm thick and then remove the top sheet of silicone parchment. Generously spread the caramel in the centre of the pastry circle leaving about a 3 inch border so the pastry can be folded to enclose the apples and caramel whilst baking.
- Slice your apples into 3mm slices and gently arrange your apples on top of the caramel. You can be as neat or as rustic as you like as long as they are in an even layer. Gently fold up the 3 inch sides of the pastry to cover the fruit and caramel making sure not to leave any spaces from which cooking liquid may leak out. Put in the fridge for 15mins to firm.
- Egg wash the pastry and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Place the galette on its silicone paper base onto a hot baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 45 mins. The galette is ready when the fruit is just cooked through and the pastry is a beautiful golden brown. Serve immediately with good vanilla ice cream or homemade custard.
Content continues after advertisements