A hint of saltiness makes this rich and indulgent salted caramel tart taste divine!
Salted Caramel Tart
Serves 10-12 | Preparation time 45 mins plus chilling and setting | Baking time 10-15 mins
For the pastry:
Content continues after advertisements
- 375g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 190g butter, cut into cubes
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 medium egg
- 75ml milk
For the salted caramel:
- 115g unsalted butter
- 397g can condensed milk
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 pinches coarse sea salt
For the chocolate ganache:
- 300g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids
- 100ml crème fraîche
- 45g salted butter, cut into cubes
- For the pastry, put the flour in a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the icing sugar.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a small bowl then pour 3/4 of it into the mixed dry ingredients. Bring together firstly with a rounded knife and then your hands to create a firm ball of pastry adding a little more of the liquid mixture if necessary. Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and grease a 25cm loose bottomed flan tin. Lightly dust your work surface with flour then roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3mm ensuring it is big enough to fit the flan tin. Gently ease the pastry into the greased tin leaving the excess pastry draped over the edges.
- Line the pastry with baking paper and add some baking beans. Bake blind for 10-15 mins then remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 10 mins until the pastry has browned and is crisp. Allow to cool then trim away the excess pastry to create neat edges.
- For the salted caramel, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the condensed milk and golden syrup and stir until well combined. Heat gently to a slow simmer then, keeping the temperature even, cook for 10 mins stirring continuously until the mixture has thickened and turned golden brown. Pour the caramel into the cooled pastry case, sprinkle with the salt and leave to set.
- For the chocolate ganache, break up the chocolate into chunks and melt in a heatproof bowl, along with the crème fraîche and butter over a pan of simmering water, stirring continuously until smooth.
- Set aside to cool for 5 mins then pour over the caramel. Chill in the fridge to allow the ganache to set but remove 30 mins before serving.