Preparation time 40 mins Baking time 30-40 mins Serves 18For the pastry:
- 250g butter, softened
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 large egg yolks
- 350g plain flour, sifted plus extra for dusting
For the filling:
- 400g jar of mincemeat
- 1 egg white 25g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 then grease a 19x29cm baking tin.
- For the pastry, cream together the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolks and beat well. Add the flour to the mixture and bring together firstly with a round ended knife and then your hands to form a smooth paste.
- Divide the mixture into two, wrap well in cling film then place in the fridge to chill for 30 mins. Remove from the fridge then lightly dust your work surface with flour. Roll out one half of the mixture into a rectangle big enough to line the base and sides of the tin. If the pastry is breaking and difficult to handle roll it out between two sheets of baking paper.
- Line the base and sides of the prepared tin with the pastry then spoon the mincemeat on top. Spread out with the back of a spoon and level the top. Roll out the remaining pastry about the same size as the tin and place on top of the mincemeat. Pinch together the two layers of pastry to seal, trim the excess and flute the edges with your fingertips or a fork.
- For the glaze, lightly beat the egg white with a fork to loosen. Brush on top of the pastry so it is well coated then sprinkle the sugar evenly on top. Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin before cutting into slices.