Zingy lime with clouds of light meringue, key lime pie is a classic pudding that everyone will love!
Key Lime Pie
Serves 6-8 | Preparation time 30 mins | Baking time 55 mins
For the pastry:
Content continues after advertisements
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cold diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water to combine
For the lime filling:
- 300g caster sugar
- 30g butter
- 45g cornflour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 120ml lime juice (juice from approx. 5 limes)
- 240ml water (120ml cold water, 120ml boiling water)
- 3 egg yolks
- Zest of 1 lime
- Green food colouring (optional)
For the meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour in a large bowl until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and enough water to bring the pastry together. Knead lightly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and chill for half an hour.
- Grease the deep pie tin. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line the tin, trimming away any excess pastry and pricking the base with a fork. Chill the uncooked pastry case in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Line the chilled pastry case with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake in the oven at 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 5 for 15 mins. Remove the baking beans and paper and bake for a further ten mins until the base is cooked through and the pastry is a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Prepare the filling. In a large pan mix together 300g caster sugar, cornflour and salt. In a jug beat together the egg yolks, cold water and lime juice. Add these to the pan. Now add the butter and whilst stirring pour in the boiling water. Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat stirring constantly and cook for 3 mins. Remove from the heat and stir through the lime zest and food colouring if using. Transfer to a bowl to cool for 20 mins covering the top with clingfilm which should touch the top of the filling to prevent a skin from forming.
- Reduce the temperature of the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and prepare the meringue by adding the egg whites to a large clean bowl and whipping until they form soft peaks. Whilst whisking add the sugar slowly one spoonful at a time until all has been added. The meringue mixture should be firm and stand in stiff peaks.
- Add the lime filling to the cooked pastry case and top with the meringue, spreading it out to the edge of the pastry to seal the filling inside. Create spikes in the top of the meringue by touching and lifting away with the back of a spoon. Bake the assembled pie in the oven for 20 mins. Allow to cool fully before chilling completely in the fridge. Serve.