Kids will love baking and decorating these fun puff pastry wands which are sprinkled with sugar to create a slightly sparkly effect. They might not be able to magically make the washing up disappear after, but they do taste magical!
Puff Pastry Wands
Preparation time 40 mins plus cooling Baking time 8-10 mins Makes 12 For the wands:
- 350g pack ready rolled puff pastry, at room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the decoration:
- 75g white chocolate
- Sugar sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 and line two baking sheets with baking paper.
- Unroll the pastry and cut out 12 stars about 10cm in diameter using a star cutter. Ask an adult to cut out 12 thin rectangles from the remainder of the pastry, each measuring 1x12cm.
- Brush the rectangles with egg and twist them so they form a spiral. Place a spiral on one of the prepared baking trays then place a star over one end of it so it covers the top 3cm. Press gently to secure the star to the spiral. Repeat with the remaining stars and spirals.
- Brush the stars with egg then sprinkle both the stars and spirals with sugar. Bake for 8-10 mins until golden and puffy. Leave to cool for a few mins on the baking tray then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Break up the chocolate into chunks and ask and adult to melt it in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Either brush the melted chocolate onto the stars using a pastry brush or spread it on using a knife or the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the chocolate with sugar sprinkles then leave to set.