Traybakes are easy to make and fantastic to share. But this lovely blueberry and lemon traybake is a particularly special one as it's bursting with lemon zing and fresh blueberries!
Blueberry and Lemon Traybake
Serves 8-10 | Preparation time 15-20 mins | Baking time 25 mins
For the cake:
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g soft butter
- 225g self raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- Juice & zest of one large lemon
- 75g blueberries
For the icing:
- 150g icing sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 75g blueberries to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line and grease a baking tin. We used a 24x20cm tin but something roughly the same size will work well.
- In a large bowl (or your mixer bowl) place the sugar, butter, eggs, sieved flour, lemon juice and zest. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Roll the blueberries in a little flour and then stir them through the mixture. Spread the cake mix evenly in the baking tin and bake for approx 25 mins. The sponge should be golden and firm to the touch. A skewer should come out clean. Leave in the tin and place the whole thing on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Turn out from the tin.
- To make the icing mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together to form a smooth paste. You can either drizzle over the top of the whole bake and then dot on blueberries then cut into squares or cut into squares and space them apart on a cooling rack then drizzle each one individually. Finish by dotting with blueberries.
* This fabulous traybake will keep for a few days in a tin preferably in the fridge.