Pretty Pink Cake Loaf
Preparation time: 25 minutes plus cooling and setting - Cooking time: 45 minutes - Makes: 8
Content continues after advertisements
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Baking margarine, softened
- 100g (3 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs, beaten
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Whole milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 165g (5 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 2 sachets/10g (2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 40g (1 ½ oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 75g (3oz) Icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) Smooth strawberry jam
- 100g sachet Dr. Oetker Easy Ice Pink
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan oven, 350˚F, gas 4). Lightly grease a shallow 500g (1lb) loaf tin - approx. 8 x 19cm (3 x 7 ¼ inch).
- Put all the ingredients except the decorations in a bowl. Using an electric whisk, gently blend the ingredients together until well mixed and creamy.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth the top and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until risen and rich golden brown – a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean when the cake is cooked. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, put the butter in a small bowl and beat until soft and glossy. Gradually sieve and mix in the icing sugar to make a smooth, creamy icing.
- Slice the loaf cake in half and spread the bottom half with the butter icing and then the jam. Sandwich together with the top half and place on a serving plate.
- Prepare the Easy Ice Icing following the directions on pack and gently squeeze on top of the loaf cake. Spread over the top for a smooth finish. Leave to set for a few minutes before serving. Your loaf cake is now ready to serve and enjoy!
Hints and Tips: You may find it easier to work with the pastry in 2 halves. Simply cut the dough in half before you roll, and work on each piece separately. If time is short, use 300g (10oz) readymade sweet shortcrust pastry.