The extra thick layer of really good quality dark chocolate makes these luxury flapjacks even more irresistible!
Makes 24 | Preparation time 15 mins | Baking time 20-25 mins
For the flapjacks:
- 225g butter
- 225g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 375g porridge oats
- 90g dried sour cherries
- 50g flaked almonds
For the topping:
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/gas mark 3. Grease and line the base and sides of a 25x35cm baking or Swiss roll tin. For the flapjacks, place the butter, sugar and honey in a large pan and heat until the butter has melted. Add the oats, cherries and almonds and mix well until fully combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tin pressing down gently with the back of a spoon to level the top. Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is a pale golden colour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 mins. Cut into portions then leave in the tin to cool completely.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Remove the flapjacks from the tin and one at a time, dip the bottom of the flapjacks into the melted chocolate to form a thin coating. Place top down on a cooling rack until the chocolate has set.
* If you’re baking the flapjacks for kids they might prefer a sweeter taste so replace sour cherries with glacé cherries and use milk chocolate for the topping.