For the 6" round madiera cake
- 175g Butter (unsalted) (softened)
- 175g Unrefined golden caster sugar
- 175g Self-raising white flour
- 1 Vanilla bean paste
- 85g Plain white flour
- 3 Egg(s) (free range)
For the 4" round top rice krispy cake
- 21g Butter (unsalted)
- 90g Marshmallows
- 70g Rice krispies
For the buttercream
- 150g Butter (unsalted) (softened)
- 300g Icing sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
For the decoration:
- 1kg Green sugar paste icing 6.
- 1kg Pink sugar paste icing 200g Flower paste icing 200g White sugar paste icing 0 Pink food colouring
- Purple food colouring
- Orange food colouring 200g
- Royal icing sugar
- Ice cream cornets
- Sprinkle decorations
- To make the 6" Madeira cake: Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/140° fan /Gas Mark 3. Grease and line a 6” round cake tin with baking paperCream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flours together in a separate bowl. Beat the eggs into the creamed mixture, one at a time, following each with a spoonful of flour, to prevent the mixture curdling. Add the vanilla bean paste.Sift the remaining flour into the creamed mixture and fold in carefully with a large metal spoon. Transfer to the lined tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- When ready the cake will be well risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the center will come out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.To make the buttercream combine the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla bean paste, beating well and adding a little milk if required.
- To make the buttercream combine the softened butter, icing sugar and vanilla bean paste, beating well and adding a little milk if required.To make the top rice krispie cake: Prepare a 4” round cake tin by lining the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Melt together the butter and marshmallows over a low heat stirring often. Add the Rice Krispies and pour into tin. Allow to cool a little before spreading and leveling with the back of a fork. Allow to cool and fully set before removing.Cover the cake drum with the green sugar paste icing and smooth over.
- Level the Madeira cake, split into 3 and sandwich together with buttercream before putting a thin layer over the rest of the cake. Place the cake on the drum centrally but slightly towards the back.
- Cover the cake with the pink sugar paste icing. Place the rice krispie cake on top securing with a little royal icing and cover with a layer of pink sugar paste icing. You may need to do a second layer to get a smooth finish on the top cake.