A beautifully simple, elegant Christmas cake, decorated with sparkling snowflakes.
Snowflake CakeYou will need:
- 20cm round Christmas cake
- 750g white sugar paste
- 750g white marzipan
- 10 inch round silver cake board
- Apricot glaze/jam
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Vodka or boiled water
- Silver sugar balls
- Snowflake cutters in various shapes and sizes
- Blue ribbon
- Edible glue
- Edible white glitter
- Large non stick rolling pin
- Small non stick rolling pin
- If your cake has a raised centre, brush the top of the cake with boiled apricot glaze. Knead a small amount of marzipan and roll out a sausage length to fit around the outside top edge of the cake. Dragging the flat edge of the knife across the sausage of marzipan towards the centre will give you a flat surface. If your cake has a slight dip in the centre, brush the top of the cake with the boiled apricot glaze. Knead a small amount of marzipan, shape into a flattened circle to fill the dip.
- Turn the cake over and place on a cake board and brush all over with the apricot glaze. Knead the remaining marzipan and roll out a 36cm circle on icing sugar to approx 0.5cm thickness. This circle will need to be larger than the marzipan circle to cover the cake and board all in one.
- Place the icing onto cake and smooth the top. Gently pull out pleats from bottom edge of cake and smooth sides by starting at top edge and working down. Try not to drag icing at top edge to prevent cracking. Using your hands, smoothe down the cake whilst pulling any pleats out from the bottom as you go. A smoother/polisher tool would help if you have one, but if not use your hands. Once you have the sides smooth, trim off the excess icing. Keep the remaining paste for your snowflakes.
- To make the snowflakes, knead the sugar paste and roll out on a surface dusted with icing sugar. This will need to be thinner than the cake covering to ensure your snowflakes look delicate. Cut out snowflakes using different sizes and shapes and place onto the cake, attaching with a little edible glue. Pile some on top of each other to give a raised look. Press in the silver sugar balls and decorate with edible white glitter to finish the design.
- To complete the cake, place a ribbon around the cake and tie with a bow at the front.
Content continues after advertisements