Discover a quick and easy way to add colour and vibrancy to a cake with this floral design by Rainbow Dust Colours. It's perfect for when you need to make a great cake in a hurry.
Cascade of Vibrant Flowers
You will need
For the Cake
• 8cm (3in), 13cm (5in) and 18cm (7in) square cakes, all 10cm (4in) deep to decorate
• Rainbow Dust ProGel – turquoise, pink, lemon
• Rainbow Dust Food Art Pens – dusky pink, yellow, teal
• white sugarpaste
• white flower paste
• royal icing
• edible glue equipment
• five-petal rose cutters, 65mm and 50mm
• 23cm (9in) square, 12mm drum board
• 13cm (5in) and 18cm (7in) square, 1mm thin boards
- Place the 18cm (7in) square cake onto the 23cm (9in) square board, and the 13cm (5in) square and 8cm (3in) square cakes onto the same size boards, using a small amount of buttercream to secure each cake in place. Split and fill each cake with your chosen filling, then spread a thin layer of buttercream around the sides and top.
- Colour enough sugarpaste to cover the bottom tier using pink ProGel, the middle tier using turquoise ProGel and finally the top tier using lemon ProGel. Leave overnight to firm.
- Once dry, dowel and stack each tier of cake using a small amount of softened sugarpaste over each of the dowels. This secures each cake in place.
- Roll out a small amount of the turquoise sugarpaste into a thin sausage shape, using a smoother to help keep the shape even. Secure this in place around the base of the bottom tier with edible glue. Repeat this process for the middle tier using lemon sugarpaste and for the top tier using pink sugarpaste.
- Next, roll out the white flower paste and cut out your shapes using both sizes of the five-petal rose cutters. Place each of the shapes onto a piece of foam to dry completely. These shapes can also be made well in advance, ready to decorate.
- Finish off by adding a line of colour around each shape and a small circle for the centre, using a black Food Art Pen. Colour the centre area of each shape using the colours teal, yellow and dusky pink Food Art Pens, using the thicker end of the pen. Secure each flower shape to your cake using a little royal icing.
- This way of decorating your cakes creates a quick, easy and fun way to add colour to any of your designs.