A wonderful treat for a bridal shower or a fun dessert the bridal party can share!
This stunning wedding dress cake by Wilton
is one that's sure to be cherished and remembered for years to come.
Elegant wedding dress cake
You will need
For the cake:
- baked doll cake (made using the Wilton classic wonder mould tin)
- 500g (1lb 1oz) white sugarpaste
- 250g (9oz) black sugarpaste
- white pearl colour dust
- white sparkling sugars
- white nonpareils sprinkles
- white sugar pearls
- white decorator icing
- Wilton teen doll pick
- Wilton roll n cut mat
- 25x40cm (10x16in) cooling rack
- cake icer nozzle No.789
- round nozzle No.1
- 5 piece decorating brush set
- piping gel
- 23cm (9in) and 35cm (13½in) angled spatulas
- 30cm (12in) disposable piping bags
- 25cm (10in) cake circle
- 23cm (9in) sugarpaste rolling pin
- 40cm (16in) disposable piping bags
- One day in advance, prepare the doll topper by removing the head and arms. Using scissors, cut off the arm pegs.
- Roll out the black sugarpaste into a 10x12.5cm (4x5in) square. Using a decorator brush, cover the body with piping gel. Cover the body with the rolled out black sugarpaste, trimming as needed. Shape the sugarpaste using your fingers to fit the doll’s body shape.
- Roll out the white sugarpaste into a 5x12.5cm (2x4½in) rectangle. Position over the black paste to form the bodice of the dress. Lightly press to adhere, then use your fingers to mould and form the white paste to the shape of the bodice. Set the doll topper aside.
- The next day, trim the cake board to 23cm (9in) and centre the cake on the board. Position the doll topper on the top of cake, using sugarpaste to build up the waist of the dress. Smooth the sugarpaste to fit to the cake shape, then remove the doll topper.
- Prepare a 40cm (16in) piping bag with nozzle No.789 and white icing. Pipe vertical lines from the top to the bottom of the cake until covered. Using a 35cm (13½in) spatula, smooth out the icing.
- Using a 23cm (9in) spatula, make vertical lines in the icing to create the folds of the dress.
- Move the cake to a foil-covered cake board. Insert the doll topper back into the cake, smoothing the icing around the waist. Place white sparkling sugar or sprinkles in a small bowl, then sprinkle with pearl dust.
- Lightly toss and swirl to coat. Repeat in a separate bowl with white sugar pearls.
- Prepare a 30cm (12in) disposable decorating bag with nozzle No.1 and white icing. Pipe petal flowers and leaves around the bottom of the dress, arranging in clusters of 3-5.
- Repeat on the bodice, bringing flowers and leaves down to a point on the front and sides of the dress, and extending the flowers 8cm (3¼in) down the back of the dress. Reserve the remaining icing in a bag for later.
- Using tweezers, randomly position sprinkles and pearls between flower clusters on the bottom, top and bodice of the dress.
- Using the reserved icing, pipe small lines around the neck of the doll topper. Using tweezers, add sugar pearls to make a necklace