How to pipe buttercream... As with everything in cake decorating, it starts with a good base. The three most important elements you need for this are:
- a reliable, flat-topped cupcake recipe (see recipe below)
- strong buttercream (see recipe below)
- good quality piping nozzles
My cupcake recipe is one that's never failed me and has always produced perfectly flat-topped cupcakes, ideal for piping buttercream onto. It uses my ‘low and slow’ method of baking at a lower temperature for a longer time to produce a more even bake.
When you come to the piping, there are quite a few designs that can be made with an open star nozzle. My three favourites are:
- a classic ‘Mr Whippy-esque’ large swirl
- a slightly smaller cupcake swirl for those who don’t want too much buttercream
- small piped stars
If you don't own nozzles already you can buy them from Amazon:
*This article contains affiliate links.