This is a fun and beautiful cake to serve and share over the Christmas period. A fantastic alternative to a traditional Christmas cake!Decorated using various tips and icing colours, this fun Christmas tree cake by Wilton gives you the freedom to decorate the tree however you like. Plus it's created using a versatile tin you can use for other bakes too!
Trim the tree Christmas cakeYou will need: For the cake:
- 1.7kg (3lb 7oz) batter made to your favourite sponge recipe
- Wilton White Ready-to-Use Decorator Icing – 2kg (4.5lb) Tub (you will need 1.3kg icing)
- Wilton Color Right® Performance Colour System
- gold sugar pearls
- white sugar pearls
- Countless Celebrations Cake Tin Set
- cake leveler
- cooling grid
- star piping nozzle 1M
- star piping nozzle 21
- round piping nozzle 12
- star piping nozzle 6B
- drop flower piping nozzle 2D
- round piping nozzle 5
- star piping nozzle 4B
- piping nozzle 789
- 40cm (16in) disposable piping bags
- 23cm (9in) palette knife
- Spray the tin, two 'C' and two 'D' inserts with non-stick cooking spray. Place 'C' inserts on the top outer edges of the tin and 'D' inserts lengthways on the bottom outer edges of the tin. Fill the tin with batter and bake the sponge following your recipe instructions. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove the inserts and level the sponge to the top of the tin. Invert onto a platter and cool completely.
- Using a triangle cutter tool, cut six sections of sponge, as outlined in the diagram below, to form a tree shape.
- Tint the icing following the colour combinations provided (see guide to tinted icing colours below). Prepare piping bags with the following combinations: piping nozzle 789 and Spring Meadow Green icingnozzle 1M and Light Green icingnozzle 21 and Bright Neon Green icingnozzle 12 and Bright Tree Green icing nozzle 6B and Tickled Teal icing nozzle 2D and Light n’ Bright Teal icing nozzle 5 and Christmas Red icing nozzle 4B and Golden Yellow icing
- Ice the edges of the sponge with the Spring Meadow Green. Smooth with a palette knife. Pipe various stars, drop flowers and dots, alternating colours, until the sponge is covered. Use the Light Green icing to pipe the trunk of the tree. Top the cake with white and gold sugar pearls.
Tinted icing coloursUse Wilton Color Right base colours and QuickCount colour formulas to make these shades: Light Green: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 1B + 1Y Bright Neon Green: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 15Y + 1B Bright Tree Green: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 6Y + 1B Spring Meadow Green: 480g (1lb) white icing + 12Y + 4B Tickled Teal: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 4B + 1Y Light 'n’ Bright Teal: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 2B + 1Y Christmas Red: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 30R + 2O + 1C Golden Yellow: 120g (4¼oz) white icing + 4Y
Content continues after advertisements