This snowman isn't walking in the air, but it is standing on the sugarpaste and won't melt when out of the fridge! It's a quick and easy cake topper to create and makes the perfect cake for the festive season.
You will need
For the cake
• 15cm (6in) round cake
9-• White sugarpaste
• Brown modelling paste
• Red sugarpaste
• Black sugarpaste
• Orange sugarpaste
• Black edible food pen
• Edible glue or royal icing
• 15cm (6in) cake board
• Cocktail stick
Shaping the Cake
Start by levelling the top of the cake until it’s flat. Place the cake on the cake board, then crumb coat the whole cake with buttercream. Place in the fridge to firm up. Once the cake is firm, roll out the white sugarpaste on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar to around 5mm (¼in). Using the rolling pin, lift the sugarpaste and use to cover the cake. Smooth over with an icing smoother for a crisp finish and trim any excess paste from the bottom of the cake.
Creating the snowman
- Now it’s time to make the snowman. Take a large piece of white paste and divide into three. The balls can be roughly the same size, they’ll just be a different shape. For the bottom part of the snowman, roll one piece into a ball, then flatten with the palm of your hand. Attach to the middle of the cake with water, edible glue or royal icing.
- Take the second piece of sugarpaste, roll into a ball and flatten again, but slightly less than the first so it’s not quite as wide, but a little bit taller. Stick on top of the bottom body piece. Roll the final piece into a ball and stick on the snowman to make the head.
- For the arms, take a piece of brown modelling paste and use your fingers to roll the paste into a long, thin sausage. Cut in half to form the arms. Make two short twigs of brown paste in the same way and stick to the top of the arms at an angle. Use the main photo for guidance on placement. Leave to harden a little.
- Take a cocktail stick and make two small holes in the middle tier of the body where the arms will go. Coat the bottom ends of the twig arms with a little edible glue and insert into the holes in the body. You may need to hold in position for a little time while the glue dries
The Finishing Touches
- For the scarf, roll out some red sugarpaste and cut a long thin piece. Make tiny cuts in each end for the frills, then wrap around the snowman’s neck and stick in place with edible glue.
- For the hat, roll out some black sugarpaste and cut out a circle. Form more sugarpaste into a thick log and cut a piece about 2cm (¾in) thick for the top of the hat. Make marks around the circumference of the log for detail, then stick onto the black circle with edible glue. Stick onto the snowman’s head.
- Make a small carrot cone from orange sugarpaste and attach to the snowman for the nose. Draw on eyes, a smile and buttons with a black edible pen.
- Roll balls of white sugarpaste of different sizes to make snowballs, then attach to the base of the snowman.
- Attach a length of red and white ribbon around the middle of the cake and finish off with a bow, if desired.