It's hard to improve on perfection, but these nutty Millionaire's Shortbread do just that! They have a super buttery, flakey shortbread base, topped with sweet, nutty caramel, and a marbled milk and white chocolate top for an extra touch of decadence.
Really Nutty Millionaire’s Shortbread
For the base:
- 225g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g butter, softened
For the caramel:
- 150g dark soft brown sugar
- 150g butter
- 397g can condensed milk
- 125g mixed nuts such as pistachios, hazelnuts and pecans, roughly chopped
For the topping:
- 75g plain chocolate
- 75g white chocolate
- 75g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and grease a 20x30cm Swiss roll tin.
- For the shortbread, place the flour and sugar in a bowl then rub in the butter using your fingertips to resemble breadcrumbs. Press the mixture down well into the greased tin and bake for 20 mins.
- For the caramel, gently melt the sugar with the butter in a heavy based saucepan until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the condensed milk and bring to the boil stirring continuously. Let the mixture bubble for a couple of minutes until it thickens slightly then remove from the heat and stir in the nuts. Pour over the shortbread base and allow to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in three separate heatproof bowls over a pan of simmering water. Randomly drops spoonfuls of the chocolate on top of the caramel then tilt the tin to spread the chocolate until the caramel is completely covered. Swirl the chocolate together with the tip of a knife or skewer to create a marbled look then allow to cool.
- Chill in the fridge for an hour to allow the caramel to set completely before cutting up into small squares. Wrap in tissue paper and place in a gift box tied with a ribbon.