You will be oh so popular if you make these delicious Mexican churros... with a sweet chocolate sauce for dipping, and chilli hot chocolate for those who like some heat!
Churros with Chocolate DipPreparation time 45 mins - Cooking time 15 mins - Serves 4 For the churros: 1 litre sunflower/vegetable oil for frying 450ml water 50g butter ½ tsp baking powder 250g plain flour 25g caster sugar plus 25g caster sugar for dusting fried churros For the chocolate dip: 150ml double cream 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) For the chilli hot chocolate: 1 litre whole milk 2 red chilli 200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) Method:
- To make the churros, in a large bowl mix together the plain flour, baking powder and caster sugar. Set to one side.
- Place the water and butter in a pan and heat until the butter has melted. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the liquid. Stir together working out any lumps with the spoon to a soft and lightly sticky dough. Allow to rest for 10 mins.
- Heat the oil in a large pan to a temperature of 170˚C. Add the dough to a large piping bag fitted with a large open star nozzle.
- Holding the piping bag above the pan of oil carefully pipe a 12cm length of dough from the bag lowering it gently into the hot oil and snip off with scissors. Repeat with 2-3 more churros, carefully positioning them away from the others frying in the oil. Fry for 3-4 mins until golden brown and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Drain on kitchen paper and dust with a little caster sugar. Repeat the frying process until all the dough is used up and serve straight away.
- Chop the dark chocolate and set to one side.
- Add the cream to a pan and heat until just below boiling.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate.
- Allow to stand for 2 mins before stirring to a smooth consistency. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Pour milk into a large pan. Slice the chilli in half lengthways, remove the seeds and add to the milk.
- Heat over a gentle heat until just below boiling. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 10 mins to allow the chilli to infuse.
- Finely chop 200g dark chocolate. Remove the chilli from the milk and add the chocolate. Allow to stand for a further 5 mins and then whisk together until evenly combined.
- Gently reheat and serve, sweeten to taste if required. For an extra kick add a little diced chilli to each mug!
Content continues after advertisements