Norwegian Kringles, made with delicious sweet dough, filled with marzipan and cherries, topped off with sugary almond icing makes for a truly special bake!
Cherry and Almond Norwegian KringleServes 8 FOR THE DOUGH:
- 450g strong white bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 60g caster sugar
- 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 250g butter, softened
- 150ml milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 200g glacé cherries, halved
- 250g marzipan
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- Few drops almond extract
- 2-3 tbsp warm water
- 30g flaked almonds, toasted
- For the dough, place the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix well, then make a well in the centre. Heat 50g of the butter with the milk in a small pan until the butter has melted. Allow to cool until tepid. Pour the mixture into the well of the dry ingredients along with the eggs, then combine to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, then knead firmly for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm, then leave to prove in a warm place for about 2 hours until risen and doubled in size.
- Gently knock back the dough on a floured surface until almost back to its original size. Roll out into a 20x35cm (8x12in) rectangle . Take half of the remaining butter and dot over the top two thirds of the dough. Fold up the bottom third, then fold down the top third, pushing down the edges to seal in the butter.
- Turn the dough so that the folded edge is on the left. Reroll, then repeat the process with the remaining butter. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for at least an hour, then repeat the process twice more – always keeping the fold on the left and this time without adding butter. Rewrap and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 8 hours. It can be left overnight.
- Roll the dough into a large 40x60cm (15x24in) rectangle, then cut it in half lengthways down the centre to form two long strips.
- For the filling, sprinkle the cherries over the top of each strip of dough. Divide the marzipan into two, then roll into sausage shapes 60cm (24in) long. Place one piece of marzipan on the long edge of one strip of dough, then roll up the dough, starting from the edge with the marzipan on so the marzipan and cherries are rolled up inside. Bring the ends of the rolled strip together as if you are going to form a letter B, then cross the very ends over to create a simple pretzel type shape. Repeat with the other strip of dough and marzipan.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/Gas mark 7.
- Place both the kringles on an oiled baking sheet, cover with clingfilm, then leave to prove in a warm place for about 2 hours until they are well risen.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and the bottoms sound hollow when tapped. Check after 30 minutes and cover the edges with foil if they are browning too fast. Remove from the oven when cooked, then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- For the icing, mix together the icing sugar, almond extract and water to make a runny consistency. Add more water if necessary. Pour over the kringles and sprinkle with the almonds. Serve warm.
Content continues after advertisements