It’s not only flowers that can bloom in pots - these tasty seeded flowerpot loaves are simply bursting out of their terracotta!
Mini Seeded Flowerpot Loaves
Preparation time 50 mins plus rising and seasoning of pots
Baking time 20-25 mins
Makes 6 mini loaves
- 120g wholemeal bread flour
- 350g strong white bread flour, plus extra for coating
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 150ml milk, tepid
- 120ml water, tepid
- 50g butter, melted
- 40g sunflower seeds
- 20g pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Terracotta flowerpots need to well seasoned before using to bake. To do this, ensure the pots, which should be about 6-7cm in diameter, are thoroughly clean then liberally brush the inside of each with sunflower or vegetable oil. Place in the oven at 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 for 30 mins. Allow to cool, brush the inside with oil and bake again. Repeat a couple more times.
- To make the bread, combine the flours, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. In a separate bowl or pan, warm the milk and water until tepid. Make a well in the centre of the dry, mixed ingredients and add the liquids and melted butter. Mix well and bring together using your hands to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto your work surface and knead for 10 mins. Try to avoid adding any extra flour to your work surface but if the dough is too sticky to work with then rub a little sunflower oil on your hands.
- Oil the inside of a large bowl then place the dough inside. Cover with a piece of oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-11/2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Turn the risen dough out onto your work surface then knock it back by gently kneading the air out of it until it is almost back to its original size. Flatten the dough into a large rectangle, add the sunflower, pumpkin and poppy seeds in the middle then fold in the edges to seal them inside. Knead the dough for a further 5 mins to evenly distribute the seeds.
- Oil the inside of your six seasoned Terracotta pots and line the base of each with a circle of baking paper. Sift a little flour into the pots to lightly coat the insides. Divide the dough into six, shape into balls and then slighter taper one end of each ball. Place the dough into the flowerpots, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 then bake the loaves for 20-25 mins. Remove from the oven then carefully turn the loaves out of the flowerpots and onto a cooling rack to cool completely.