This recipe from Ahmad Teas is inspired by the aromatic flavours of Morocco
Moroccan Orange Slice Dessert - Recipe by Ahmad Teas
- 175g softened butter
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almond
- 1tsp baking power
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbs Greek style yoghurt
- 2 medium size oranges (zest and juice)
- 8 cardamom pods
- 1tbs dried rose petals (optional)
- 3 tbs flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, then grease and line the cake tins.
- Remove the husks of 6 of the cardamom pods, remove the seeds and then grind to powder using a pestle and mortar.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light in colour and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition making sure the mixture doesn't curdle.
- Add the ground cardamom and ¾ of the orange zest, and continue beating the mixture until they have been mixed through evenly.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and gently fold them through the cake mixture.
- Add the Greek yoghurt and the juice from the oranges, and fold through very gently using a metal spoon.
- Put the cake mixture into the pre-lined and greased cake tin, and bake for 30-45mins. Check the cakes after 30mins with a cake skewer to see if it comes out clean, if not leave it in the oven. Check every few minutes to see if the skewer comes out clean to show the cake is ready.
- Once ready, take the cake out of the oven and allow cooling in the tin for 10mins, then take the cake out of the tin and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Whip the double cream until soft peaks form, and grind the seeds of the 2 remaining cardamom pods then fold through the cream.
- Spread the cream using a palette knife over the top of the cake and sprinkle over the flaked almonds, remaining orange zest and dried rose petals.