You have to have a few slices of ginger cake when the weather cools, pack these delicious spiced ginger cakes in a tin with a flask for winter walks.
Individual Ginger Cakes with Golden Stem Ginger Icing
Preparation time 10 mins Baking time 30 mins Makes 12 cakes For the cakes:
- 125g butter
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 200ml black treacle
- 25ml syrup from a jar of stem ginger
- 300g plain flour
- 11/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 11/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 dstsp ground ginger
- 250ml hot water
For the icing:
- 50g golden icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp syrup from a jar of stem ginger
- 2 balls of preserved stem ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place 12 square baker’s moulds onto a baking sheet.
- For the cakes, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg then stir in the black treacle and ginger syrup until thoroughly combined.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, mixed spice and ginger together. Stir into the sugar and butter mixture and mix well. Divide the mixture equally between the 12 baker’s moulds and bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar and ginger syrup together in a bowl. Drizzle on top of the cakes then decorate with a sprinkle of stem ginger.