These exquisite passion fruit mini layer cakes are like sunshine in your mouth. Making the fresh passion fruit curd is absolutely worth it, we say make double and give your crumpets a sunshine treat!
Passion Fruit Mini Layer Cakes
Preparation time 1 hour plus cooling Baking time 20 mins Makes 12 For the curd:
- 4 passion fruits
- 85g sugar
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
For the cakes:
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self raising flour, sifted
- 2 passion fruits
For the icing:
- 15g butter
- Juice of 1 passion fruit
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 10 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- For the curd, cut the passion fruits open and scoop out the pulp using a teaspoon. Sieve the pulp to create a purée and discard the pips. Place the sugar, butter, lemon juice, egg and passion fruit purée in a saucepan and place over a low heat, stirring continuously until the curd is thick. Sieve again and set aside to cool.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin (ideally with vertical sides rather than tapered) and line the base of each hole with a circle of baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- For the cakes, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture begins to curdle beat in a little of the flour. Gently fold in the remaining flour using a large metal spoon.
- Cut open the passion fruits, scoop out the pulp and gently fold into the cake mixture. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag which will allow you more control as you pipe the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 20 mins until well risen and a skewer inserted in the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Mix the passion fruit juice and lemon juice together in a bowl then stir in the melted butter. Stir in the icing sugar a little at a time until you reach a thin spreadable consistency.
- Carefully cut each cake horizontally in half and fill with the passion fruit curd. Spread passion fruit icing on the top of each cake and leave to set.
TIP: * The passion fruit curd will keep up to 3 weeks in the fridge and can also be frozen so it is well worth making double for later!