These whisky soaked walnut cakes by Dr. Oetker, made with ground walnuts and covered in dark chocolate, contain more than a dram of whisky, which makes these little cakes a whole lot of fun!
Whisky & Walnut Cakes
Portions: 6 | Preparation and cooking time: 80 mins
For the Cakes:
- 200 g Plain Flour (7 oz)
- Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachets x 2 (2 tsp)
- 100 g Walnuts (3 ½ oz) ground
- 175 g Caster Sugar (6 oz)
- Large Eggs x 2 beaten
- 125 g Unsalted Butter (4 ½ oz) melted
- 90 ml Whisky (6 tbsp)
- 45 ml Whole Milk (3 tbsp)
- 125 g Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks' 72% Extra Dark Chocolate (4 ½ oz)
- 40 g Unsalted Butter (1 ½ oz)
- 6 Portions Walnut halves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Lightly grease 6 x mini loaf tins and arrange on a baking tray.
- Sift flour and Baking Powder into a mixing bowl, and stir in the ground walnuts and 100g (3 ½ oz) sugar. Make a well in the centre. Gradually mix in the eggs, melted butter, 45ml (3tbsp) whisky and the milk until to form a well blended, thick batter.
- Divide the mixture between the loaf tins, smooth the tops and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until risen, firm to the touch and lightly golden.
- While the cakes are cooking, put the remaining sugar in a small saucepan with 45ml (3 tbsp) water. Heat gently, stirring until dissolved, then bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining whisky.
- Once the cakes are cooked, skewer each one a few times and spoon over the hot whisky syrup. Leave to cool completely in the tins.
- To decorate, turn the cakes out of the tins and place on a wire rack over a board or plate. Break the Extra Dark Chocolate into a small, heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the butter and 15ml (1 tbsp) water. Heat very gently, stirring occasionally, until melted together and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside for a few minutes until the mixture is of a thick, coating consistency.
- Carefully spoon the Chocolate icing over the tops of the cakes allowing it to drip down the sides. Place a walnut half in the centre of each and leave to stand in a cool place for several minutes to allow the icing to set. Your cakes are now ready to serve and enjoy!