Tres leches, meaning three milks, is a light and airy sponge cake drowned in a milk mixture which transforms it into a sweet and squidgy slice of fabulousness! Be warned this Tres Leches cake is seriously addictive!
Tres Leches Cake
Preparation time 20 mins plus cooling and chilling
Baking time 50-55 mins
For the cake:
- 3 large eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 40ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the milk soak:
- 150ml milk
- 150ml condensed milk
- 150ml evaporated milk
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper and preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4.
- For the cake, use an electric mixer to whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl for approx 6 mins until very light and fluffy and almost doubled in size.
- Whilst whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in the milk followed by the vanilla extract and melted cooled butter.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and gently fold in until fully combined. Gently pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 mins. Remove from the oven and while the cake is hot and still in the tin, prick all over the surface of it with a skewer.
- For the soak, mix the milk, condensed milk and evaporated milk together in a jug and slowly pour over the top of the hot cake a little at a time, allowing it to soak in before adding more. Once all the milk mixture has been added place on a wire rack and leave to cool completely in the tin for approx 3-4 hours. Once cold chill in the fridge for 4 hours before serving.
* The milk mixture for the soak will seem like a large amount for the cake to take, the trick is adding it to the cake slowly allowing each addition to soak in before adding any more. Drizzling it from a jug is the easiest way to do it.