This Clean Eating Swiss Roll is perfect treat for those of us wanting to watch what we eat.
Hedi says "I will be honest with you. This clean eating Swiss roll cake recipe is a little complicated and can turn messy, but it is totally worth the effort".
Clean Eating Swiss Roll by Hedi Hearts
Ingredients: For the roll:
- 120g raw chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup of coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of whipped coconut cream
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 5 tbsp of cacao or cocoa powder to dust the roll
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan.
- Grease an 18" x 13" (46cm x 33cm) baking tray and line it with baking paper.
- Combine the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a microwave-safe container and microwave on high for 15-second bursts, mixing well each time, until it’s shiny and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the egg yolks and coconut sugar with an electric hand or stand mixer, and beat at high speed for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thick, (almost a mayonnaise consistency) and is pale yellow in colour.
- Add the melted chocolate into the egg yolk mixture and whisk well.
- Beat egg whites, along with a pinch of salt at high speed with an electric hand or stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate-egg yolk in three, separate spoonfuls. Take your time to fold in the whipped egg whites carefully, do not rush and deflate the whipped air.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake at for 15-18 minutes or until puffed and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the roll from the oven and place a clean tea towel over the baking sheet to prevent the roll from drying out.
- After 10-15 minutes, when the roll is cool enough to touch but still slightly warm, remove the towel and dust the entire surface with 1 and ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder. Cover the roll again with the tea towel ensuring it covers it all
- Place the back of another baking sheet over the towel and turn the roll onto it. Gently peel back the parchment paper or the silicone liner. Dust this side of the roll too, with another 1 and ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder.
- Now carefully roll the roll up with the towel inside it and let it cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, add the coconut cream and a tablespoon of honey to a chilled bowl. Either with an electric hand or stand mixer, whip it at high speed for 3-4 minutes, or until it is light and fluffy with soft peaks.
- Once the roll is cooled, carefully unroll the towel.
- Spread the whipped coconut cream filling evenly over the roll, leaving a border of about an inch.
- Using the tea towel as a guide, reroll the cake (it is fine if it has a few cracks). Gently place it on a serving platter.
- Wrap the serving platter tightly with a cling film and place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight or at least for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, dust the entire cake lightly with another 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to hide any cracks or imperfection. Slice and serve cold with fresh fruits.
Hedi of Hedi Hearts lives with her family in Essex, UK. She’s originally from the Czech Republic, but has been living in England for more than 10 years. She’s a busy mum who is passionate about making and eating clean recipes, healthy food, running, the gym and music.