Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies - by Forever BakingServes 18
- 190g all-purpose flour
- 20g unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 110g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature.
- 150g packed light brown sugar
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature1
- 15ml milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon red food colouring
- 160g semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus a few extra for after baking)
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until combined and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the egg, milk, and vanilla extract, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Once mixed, add the food coloring and beat until combined. Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a very soft dough is formed. On low speed, beat in the chocolate chips. The dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough tightly cling film and chill for at least 1 hour. Chilling is very important.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Scoop 1.5 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Place 6 balls onto each baking sheet. Bake each batch for 10-11 minutes. As soon as you take the cookies out the oven stick a few chocolate chips into the tops of the warm cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.