Surprise your Valentine's with these cute heart cookies from Dr. Oetker by adding a surprise inside, popping candy!
Surprise Inside Heart Cookies
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus chilling, cooling and setting Cooking time: 12 minutes Makes: 8 (3 layer cookies) Ingredients:
- 125g (4 ½ oz) lightly salted butter, softened
- 135g (4 ½ oz) caster sugar
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 1 sachet Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 sachet Dr. Oetker Baking Powder (1 tsp)
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 25g (1oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cook’s Chocolate 72% Extra Dark
- Dr. Oetker Rainbow Popping Candy
- Icing sugar to dust
- 175g (6 oz) Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Regal-Ice White
- Dr. Oetker Bright Red and Hot Pink Gel Food Colours
- 15ml (1 tbsp) clear honey
- Heart Cutters – small and large
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. In a bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar together until soft and creamy.
- Sift the flour, Cocoa Powder and Baking Powder on top and make a well in the centre. Add the egg and mix together. Using your hands, bring the mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and pliable.
- Roll out half the dough to 1/2 cm (1/4inch) thick. Using an 8cm (3 inch) wide heart shaped cutter, cut out 3 hearts. Arrange on one of the baking trays and using a 4cm (1 ¾ inch) heart cutter, cut the middle from one of the hearts to make a frame - add the cut out dough to the trimmings to use later.
- Continue cutting the remaining dough in the same way, re-rolling as necessary and allow for three pieces of dough for every cookie. Roll out the other half of the dough in the same way to make 16 whole hearts and 8 heart frames in total. Prick the whole hearts with a fork. Chill all the cookies for 30 minutes.
- Ten minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan oven, 350°F, Gas 4). Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until firm. Leave to cool on the baking trays for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, break up the Extra Dark Chocolate into a small heatproof bowl. Put the bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water and leave to melt. Remove from the water.
- Lightly spread or brush melted chocolate around the underside edge of the heart frames and gently press on top of one of the whole cookies, so that they line up. Place on a board lined with parchment and leave to set firm whilst you stack 7 more cookies in the same way.
- Carefully spoon sufficient Popping Candy into the hollow of each cookie to form a layer level with the top of the cookie. Lightly spread or brush more melted chocolate round the top edge of the heart as before and place one of the remaining whole cookies on top to enclose the Popping Candy. Leave to set whilst preparing the remaining cookies. Each cookie should be stacked in three’s. Whole cookie plus frame cookie plus whole cookie.
- To decorate, dust the work surface lightly with icing sugar. Cut off a 65g (2 ½ oz) piece of Regal-Ice, flatten slightly and add a few drops of Bright Red Gel Food Colour on top of the icing. Fold the icing over the Gel Food Colour to enclose it and carefully knead it into the icing until evenly mixed. Keep adding Gel until you have achieved a vibrant shade. Wrap in cling film to prevent it from drying out. Using a further 65g (2 ½ oz) Regal-Ice, repeat the process using Hot Pink Gel Food Colour to make a deep pink shade, and with the remaining Regal-Ice, colour it with Hot Pink Gel to achieve a pastel shade – you will need to use approx. 50 drops Bright Red, 50 drops Hot Pink for a vibrant colour, and 15 drops Hot Pink for a pastel shade.
- Roll out each piece of icing thinly and stamp out 3 large hearts from the red and vibrant pink, and 2 from the pastel icing, using the same large cookie cutter and then take out the middle using the smaller cutter. Mix and match the different hearts together to make different colour combinations.
- Brush the top of each cookie lightly with honey and carefully stick the hearts on top, smoothing them in place with your fingers to ensure a neat fit. Leave to dry for a few minutes before presenting your Surprise Inside cookies to your Valentine!